MBBS is considered one of the most popular and noble professional career options for students in India. A lot of Indian students aspire to complete an MBBS course from a dedicated government medical college or from a good private medical college. If we consider the numbers, there are more than 450 government and private medical colleges in India. The top medical colleges in India include AIIMS New Delhi, PGIMER Chandigarh, CMC Vellore, AFMC Pune, Kasturba Medical College Manipal, etc.
Regardless of the list of medical colleges in India being very high, the ratio of the number of seats to the medical student aspirants in India is still low. It is because many students are not able to get a seat in a specific medical institute of their choice and they have to take a drop to retake the examination or change their career choice.
Students can also complete MBBS from leading foreign medical colleges such as Vinnitsa National Medical University, Ukraine; Altai State Medical University, Russia; AMA School of Medicine, Philippines, etc. As per reports published by one of the leading news sources, the number of Indian students going abroad for the MBBS course is going up from time to time. They also state that there is a constant rise in the number of students who are issued eligibility certificate to study MBBS abroad every year.
MBBS in India
It is possible to complete MBBS course in India in 5.5 years – including 4.5 years of academic education and 1 year of mandatory internship. Those who took Physics, Chemistry, and Biology as main subjects in 12th are eligible for MBBS course. Moreover, students need to undertake certain medical exams to get admission one of the medical universities in India.
The number of Indian students who appear in medical exams keeps on increasing every year. Students have to face a tough competition to get into the medical collges of India. Because of subsidised fee structure, there is a lot of competition for MBBS seats in government medical colleges.
The average of minimum fee for MBBS course in government medical colleges is around 10,000 per annum. Only students with top NEET ranks get admission in government medical colleges. Along with government MBBS colleges, there are a several top private MBBS colleges in India that provide good quality education to students. Though, the minimum fee structure of private MBBS colleges in India is around Rs. 4,00,000.
MBBS from Abroad
There are several countries that are famous destinations for Indian students to undertake MBBS programmes such as Russia, China, Philippines, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, etc. Studying abroad, however, requires a lot of planning and effort. There are several reasons due to which students undertake MBBS programme in a foreign country. They include:
- Practical Learning: Practical learning is the prime reason why Indian student choose medical college of abroad. The students get a chance to learn from professional doctors and undertake a training prorgramme from affiliated hospitals.
- Internationally Recognized: Student who complete MBBS from abroad get a chance to interact with people from different communities. Even, they get international recognition when they come to India.
- Cost of Study: Several medical university of abroad have very lower fees in comparison with Indian universities.
- MCI-approved: The degree received from abroad medical universities come approved by the medical council of India. The doctors can get the medical license, and they can practice in India once they clear the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE).
- Infrastructure: The infrastructure of medical colleges of abroad are far better than that of medical colleges of India. It includes the equipment, laboratory, and extra space for experiment and research.
All in all, it depends on the choice of the students. Indian medical colleges certainly have their advantage, as India is one of the cheapest countries to study medicine. In addition to the low tuition, the cost of living in India is also cheap due to its low inflation, which means that stuff in India would cost less than the stuff in the United States and other European counterparts. Also, getting placement having a UGC recognized degree would make the employer much more comfortable in hiring, rather than preferring an unknown foreign institute, which might lack credibility.